Introducing the all new Joomla Detroit Workshops!
Over the past months, there have been a lot of requests for a "From the Beginning" meetup that would teach attendees everything that is needed to know about building a Joomla website from the beginning. Joomla Detroit answers your call! After three months in the works, Joomla Detroit, CloudAccess.net and D:hive Detroit are teaming up to bring you...
Introduction to Joomla! 101
Designed for anyone who wants to learn how to build their own website, this beginner level user workshop teaches you how to build your own website!
No Web Development, Coding or Design Skills needed. Period. If you know how to browse the internet, use Microsoft Word and have a laptop, this one day tutorial workshop is what you need to jump start your website ideas and make them a reality.
Enroll for this one day Web Building workshop and learn how to create your own website with no web design skills needed.
Joomla is probably the most versitile content mananagement systes (CMS) that really doesn't require any developer skills! Perhaps this is one of the reasons it is so widely used for business sites, but also is equally popular for new start ups and non profits. While it handles very complex websites easily, it is scalable as the site grows, extremely extensible and customizable. All of this can be done without advanced web developer skills too!
When: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 12 noon - 5 p.m.
Where: D:hive Detroit - 1253 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48226
Who: Son Koral, Joomla Detroit Organizer | CloudAccess.net | D:hive Detroit
Price: General $39 | Students $34
If you have a business, or need a website for products or services, you need this one day seminar!
Our DIY Website workshop teaches you how to build your website with no Web Coding knowlege!
If you know how to browse the internet, use Facebook, edit a document in Microsoft Word, or send an email, then you already have the skills needed for our unique web building workshop. What you do need to have is a laptop (Mac or Windows) that is Wi-Fi enabled.
Who Needs this workshop?
- Do You Need a Website, but don't know how?
- Are you a Small Business or Start Up with a great idea, product or service?
- Business at your "Brick and Mortar" store slow and you need new customers?
- Do you have a private practice and want to gain more leads?
- Do you have an interest in starting a blog?
- Worried that you don't have the skills it takes to create a website?
- This seminar is designed to help just about everyone out. If you really want to promote something (anything, that is), blog about something or gain new customers and clients, then you need to attend the DIY Website Building seminar.
What Will You Learn?
We will take a complete tour of the Joomla CMS Administrator interface including all the different parts that extend Joomla in to exactly what you need. Once the basics are covered, we will guide you through:
- Setting up the Site (Your hosting account and auto installation of the Joomla! CMS application)
- Getting familiar with Joomla! (The Website application)
- Basic configurations (Site Name, Description and such)
- Web Building Best Practices (Things to think about when buidling your site)
- Writing content (Don't worry... It's like using Microsoft Word)
- Handling images (how to install and use images in your content)
- Navigation Menus (the links at the top and sides of your website)
- Adding functionality (like a gallery or contact us form using the Joomla Extensions Directory)
- Customizing the look and feel (Installing templates and configurations)
- Backing up your site (Critical for data integrity and preservation)
- Basic Search Engine Optimization (how Google and Bing see and index your site)
- Basic Web Marketing fundamentals (How to market your new website online)
- Recommended tools to make your job easier
- You will receive all the training needed build your own website or blog, and be able to do it again and again whenever you need!
This one day DIY workshop is oriented toward the novice internet user. Attendees will only need to know how to:
- Comfortable with browsing the internet on their laptop
- Filling out contact forms online
- Use Facebook at least once a week
- Using Microsoft Word (or equivilent)
- Comfortable sending and receiving emails
- Basic concepts of what the internet is (computers linked all around the world via "the internet" -- now you know)
Recommended for the Seminar
- Using an audio or Video recorder to help suppliment your notes and memory
- Using a smartphone (iPhone or Android) is helpful, but not required)
- Having Skype installed on your laptop
What will you take home?
At the end of the session, you will have a live website that is accessible to the public that you've put together yourself! This site can be either a blog or a standard business website, and will contain everything you have learned through the seminar. You will also meet the people from CloudAccess.net who maintain your hosting, provide the technical support when you need it, and ensure that the web servers (computers) that your website is on run smoothly so your site is always available to you and the public.
Seminar Location and Times
Saturday, September 14, 2013, 12noon - 5pm
Seminar Sign in starts at 11:30 am. Attendees are encouraged to meet each other and network until 10 am sharp when seminar formally starts.
We will wrap up around 4:00 pm and take an hour for Q&A.
The DIY Seminar will be hosted by the friendly folks at D:hive Detroit at the following address:
1253 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48226
Grab your Ticket Today!
This Introductory workshop will sell out FAST! We have received a number of requests already, and people are ready to get started. We are limiting the number of attendees to just 20 for this seminar (the fewer the better, right?) but we will sell all 20 available slots.
General Admittance - $39
Students with valid ID - $34