Cannot Log In? Here's what you need to do if you loose your 2 factor authentication and you have 2 factor turned on in Joomla
This has been a major issue for many Joomla 3.2 users. It primarily happens when you have to wipe your Android or iPhone. Google won't allow you to back up the saved accounts in the app, so you have to start all over. Problem is how to login to your Joomla site if you don't have the 2 factor authentication?
The Procedure is actually very simple:
- FTP to your Joomla install Directory (usually public_html or httpdocs)
- Go to the plugins folder at public_html/plugins
- Find the folder called twofactorauth and rename it to something else (I just put an underscore in front of the folder name "_twofactorauth")
- Now go your Joomla login at yoursite.com/administrator and log in as usual!
That's it! It's really simple. This gets you into your site, but you should disable the Google Two Factor Authentication for good measure if it is still on for some reason.
- Click on the Extensions menu at the top and come down to plugin manager, and click that.
- Search for "two factor" and the plugin will show up in the list.
- Disable it by clicking the green check so that it turns to a red "X".
Google Two Factor Authentication is now off.
Have a Great Day!